We took a lovely jaunt over Father's Day weekend to one of the very few shore towns that I have NOT stayed at yet! I know. You have a hard time believing that, don't you? ha. But it's true. I'll be honest with you. Real is why you come here and honestly, you've come to expect me to be REAL with you, right?
Wildwood has never been one of my favorite places to visit. We'd go there when we stayed in Cape May to have some fun on the boardwalk - but I would have NEVER in a million years have considered staying there. I just didn't feel it was safe. I thought there were some scary parts of town that I felt would not be smart to visit with small kids. I thought the same about Atlantic City & I gave them a '2nd shot' with Boston 3 years ago. I saw there that they were really trying to clean it up - but unfortunately, I haven't been back with kids yet. So hopefully we'll have an awakening with AC like we did with Wildwood over Father's Day Weekend!
In case you didn't notice by the title....but we LOVED our visit there.
And I'll tell you - it's one reason & ONE reason alone why - MOREY'S PIERS.
Yes. There are still parts of town that I felt uncomfortable in. I won't lie. But Morey's Piers is different. MUCH MUCH DIFFERENT.
7 Things Loved By My Family At Morey's Piers
1) THE MOREY FAMILY. As you know in my love of travels and sharing here - I am a sucker for a real life story. And the story behind the magic of Morey's Piers was so fun to see! I missed a special cocktail event because well.... traveling with a toddler puts a vice grip on my plans. lol Truth be told. But I did get a great break to really wander the hotel we were staying in and read the walls. For. Like. HOURS.
2) THE PAN AMERICAN HOTEL. What a CLASSY place!! You know me - I'm a sucker for amenities so when I saw the Philosophy products in the gorgeous bathrooms? I died and went to bath time heaven!! I've stayed at thousands of places. And if there is one consistent thing that tells me the character and class of the place - it's the toiletries!! Everywhere you turn in this hotel you see a story. You can get caught up in the walls of time beginning with the ride down the road with the big spinning Pan American sign in the back of an old pickup truck! (And the chairs in the lobby are the coolest chairs I've ever seen!)
3) THE PIERS. Notice I didn't say the Boardwalk. Cause until they stop allowing people to smoke and flick their ashes on me and my kids - I'm not a fan of the boardwalk at all. (And I'm not a smoke-snob. Both of my parents smoke heavily their entire lives. I just don't believe that it should be allowed in a public place like that. It really bothers me when I walk up to a store and their workers are standing in their doorways trying to get me to come in there and their stink cigs behind their ears and in their hands. GROSS! There are way too many little kids running around on that boardwalk - there shouldn't be any smoking. But if you are like me in that? GET ON THE PIERS!! Cause the Morey family does it right. NO SMOKING ALLOWED.
3) THE FUN on THE PIERS. Yeah. You can find so much to do on those three piers that you never need to hit the boardwalk or the streets of Wildwood if you're a fuddy-dutty-like me. And honestly, there are many out of towners that need that 'comfortable place'. Morey's Piers have so many really fun things to do! I died after finding out there was THREE piers to PLAY! The Ghost Ship & Kong were our favorite rides. LOVED them.
4) THE FOOD. When I think about beach & boardwalk food - I think cotton candy, pizza, 'snack bar' type food. But not at MOREYS PIERS!! When we arrived they gave us a ton of generous coupons to experience all the food at the piers & I am so glad they did!! The last day, I ended up sharing some of them with a sweet woman we met at the waterparks who was there from Illinois (where I'm from). Cause honestly, I felt bad with all the talk I made about the
5) THE WATER PARKS. Seriously one of the coolest thing ever is enjoying a WATER PARK while near the ocean! The PIers really have a couple cool water parks that everyone has to take advantage of when in Wildwood. Being a kid from the midwest and never even seeing the ocean till much later in my college years, the only water fun we got were water parks. I grew up in a boat on a dirty lake in southern Illinois. Our 'special treat' was hitting a water park. So to be a kid and have the ocean at your fingertips? I can't even IMAGINE what a cool opportunity that is. The #1 thing that I love most from my move to Philly is that we are within a couple hours drive of the shore. From Cape May to LBI - I am forever in love with it. Add a boardwalk AND a waterpark? Totally died and gone to heaven reliving my childhood with my son at the
6) THE HISTORY. More than one occasion my family had to distract me to STOP looking at all the images on the walls at the Pan American Hotel!! I stopped every time so that I could read, snap and share the great history of Morey's Piers!
7) OH-MY-THE-ORANGEAIDES. Seriously. I should be embarrassed with how many orangeaides I had on those piers!!! My mouth is watering now for one dangit.
Now check out their fun History YouTube video: